The Lucky Star Market is organized by Jody Bergan Bennett. Inspired by her younger sister, Amy Yetman, the proprietor of the growing and highly acclaimed Horseshoe Craft & Flea Market (Denver, CO), Jody felt that Ames and Central Iowa were deserving of a market that echoed the passion and integrity found in a curated market full of wonderfully unique handmade goods, contemporary design and artwork, repurposed and vintage finds.
- Lucky Star Market is the ‘sister market’ of Horseshoe Craft & Flea in Denver, Colorado; one of the most critically-acclaimed and locally beloved open-air, seasonal markets in all of Colorado.
- The Lucky Star Market is a place where both emerging and experienced artists, designers, crafters and vintage collectors can set up their own “shop”, showcase their talents and meet their customers.
- Lucky Star Market is a “pop-up,” seasonal market launching in Ames, Iowa to encourage and support creative entrepreneurs, inspire Central Iowans to shop locally and bring a truly unique experience to the Ames area.
- Lucky Star Market is a “juried” event with a diverse set of products and vendors that share the common commitment to high quality and customer service.
- Lucky Star Market provides a rare and wonderful shopping destination where customers can interact with and buy directly from their source. You’re sure to come upon a chance discovery or “lucky find” at our market and leave with an abundance of inspiration!
The Lucky Star Market seeks to facilitate and create a vibrant, authentic and dynamic community of local artists, collectors and entrepreneurs. It’s a comfortable, open venue for sharing resources, talents and ideas and creating community. Ultimately, Lucky Star Market seeks to promote and sustain a livelier, more colorful Ames, Iowa.
Who Can Participate?
Lucky Star Market is a juried show. Don’t be too intimidated by that. We encourage experienced and emerging art makers, collectors, or those of you who’ve never done a market to apply! It is our goal to have a wide variety of products offered at the market with little duplication. We will be accepting applications for the following types of vendors:
-artists, independent designers and artisans
-crafters, DIYers, repurposers and upcyclers
Meet the Directors
Jody Bergan Bennett
An Ames, Iowa native, is a former elementary inner city teacher, small business owner, a wife, a mother of four spirited children and community volunteer with a passion for bringing people together for the greater good. Jody is a creator of mixed media art and emerging painter, has a love for documenting her family’s life with photography, adores the thrill of the hunt for the perfect vintage piece and is never too far from her running shoes.
Known to “think outside of the box”, Darryl has launched many successful products, ideas and partnerships in his role as Vice President at Championship Productions and has had success in publishing, advertising, marketing, sales and several community volunteer roles. Darryl is the former publisher of the Ames Bulletin Board, winner of an Ames Community Arts Council award and a volunteer soccer coach for over 10 years. Darryl’s favorite role is as husband to Jody and father of four sweet kids.